The news is by your side.

Desist from re-occupying Lekki tollgate, FG warns #EndSARS protesters

The federal government has, in reaction to another planned re-occupying of Lekki tollgate, warned against further demonstrations at the scene of last year’s alleged massacre.

Lai Mohammed Information Minister who issued the warning in Abuja Thursday said anyone who disobeyed the order will have security agencies to contain with.

Irked by the decision of the Lagos State judicial panel to reopen the premises where citizens were reportedly massacre by military personnel on October 20, 2020, Nigerians are planning to regroup at the Lekki tollgate in protest Saturday morning.

They are insisting the infrastructure should remain shut until the outcome of the probe panel with the hashtag #OccupyLekkiTollGate.

Moments later that, a rival group of protesters with the hashtag #DefendLagos, also picked the same venue, same time to protest in support of the panel’s decision.

Mr Mohammed, who said Nigerians have constitutional rights to protest, however said government will henceforth not allow protests at toll gates.

He said the Muhammadu Buhari administration will not allow a repeat of the havoc that trailed last year’s peaceful exercise before alleged state-sponsored  hoodlums infiltrated.

“However, any further resort to violence in the name of #EndSARS will not be tolerated this time,” the minister warned.

”The security agents are ready for any eventuality. A situation in which six soldiers and 37 policemen were murdered in cold blood by hoodlums will not repeat itself.

”The attack, looting and razing of 269 private and public property will not happen again. The killing of 57 civilians will not be re-enacted.

”No government anywhere will allow a repeat of the kind of destruction, killing and maiming wrought by the hijackers of #EndSARS protests last year.

”After all, only one policeman – (plus four others) – was killed in the invasion of the US Capitol in January, yet the FBI has continued to hunt down and prosecute the perpetrators. No life is more important than the other.

“We therefore strongly warn those who are planning to re-occupy Lekki Toll Gate on Saturday to desist.

”We know that many of those who have been loudest on social media in advertising the plan to reconvene in Lagos on Saturday are not even in Nigeria.

“They are elsewhere around the world fanning the embers of violence and inciting gullible people back home. No one should fall for their antics,” he advised.

Also on TODAY POLITICS
Today Politics