Sponsors of Boko Haram terrorists are state governors, senators and ministers, a former naval officer, Kunle Olawunmi, has revealed.
Mr Olawunmi, a former Commodore of the Nigerian Navy revealed this while featuring on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily Wednesday morning while reacting to the raid of the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) by bandits on early Tuesday morning.
He said members of the terror group arrested in the past mentioned names of those in government today as their sponsors.
He said the country’s secret police, self-styled DSS, and the military are aware of this but cannot go beyond their powers because it had to do with the sponsors of terror groups.
“Boys (terrorists) that we arrested mentioned names of people that are in the government now,” Mr Olawunmi asserted. “Some of them are governors, some of them are in the Nigerian Senate, and some of them are ministers. The Department of State Service (DSS) know them.
“…I have interrogated a high-ranking member of this government on the issue of Boko Haram in 2007/2008 and he was found culpable.
“The government did not try any of them and the Defence did not try that because it was beyond them. It was a policy problem; they cannot go beyond their masters.
“The DHQ cannot conduct any operation that is not sanctioned by the commander-in-chief of the armed forces (president), they cannot do it,” the head of the Department of Criminology and Security Studies at Chrisland University said.
He is not the first to reveal this. Last year, Obadiah Mailafia, a former deputy governor at the Central Bank of Nigeria, made similar revelation but was invited by the DSS thereafter.
After honouring the invitation, he backtracked from his claims with another narrative different from his earlier position.