The federal government has kicked against demands for probe of immediate past service chiefs.
President Muhammadu Buhari had last week replaced service chiefs in fulfilment of his promise to rejig the security architecture to tackle worsening insecurity bedeviling the nation.
The new service chief most of whom have assumed duties includes: Lucky Irabor, a major general, as the Chief of Defense Staff, brahim Attahiru, a major general, as Chief of Army Staff, Auwal Gambo, a rear admiral, as Chief of Naval Staff and Isyaka Amao, an air vice marshal, as Chief of Air Staff.
Their immediate predecessors includes: General Abayomi Gabriel Olonisakin, Chief of Defence Staff; Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai, Chief of Army Staff; Vice Admiral Ibok Ibas, Chief of Naval Staff and Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, Chief of Air Staff.
Barely twenty four hours after the president accepted their resignation and announced replacements, calls for their probe on crime against humanity and human rights violations began.
A civil society organization Concerned Nigerians has submitted a petition to that effect at the International Criminal Court (ICC) and its receipt has been acknowledged.
Describing the demand as needless Information Minister Lai Mohammed said those making the call are unpatriotic elements.
“Those who are calling for the ex-service chiefs to be invited to ICC are unpatriotic people,” Mr Mohammed said Tuesday while speaking on Radio Nigeria programme, Politics Nationwide.