I sued Twitter CEO to stop him from further supporting #EndSARS: Adamu Garba

Withdraws $1billion suit.

Adamu Garba, a chieftain of the All Progressive Congress (APC) who dragged Jack Dorsey, Twitter’s chief executive officer, to court for supporting nationwide protests demanding extensive police reforms last year has given the reason behind his action.

Mr Garba had last year slammed $1billion suit against Mr Dorsey over the latter’s endorsement of the protests with the hashtag #EndSARS. He alleged that the Twitter chief who supported the protests was endorsing insurrection against a democratically elected government led by President Muhammadu Buhari.

Advertisement

On the day the case was to be heard, the plantiff failed to show up, saying he and his legal team were not informed of the court sitting on time and they have applied for adjournment which has been rescheduled for 21st April 2021.

But on Monday morning, the former presidential aspirant of the APC said he has withdrawn the suit because it has served the purpose which it was intended having barred Mr Dorsey from further supporting the protest aim.

“I think the action have served its purpose. I’ve written to our lawyers to withdraw the case from court,” Mr. Adamu said on Twitter.

Advertisement

“My case with Jack was an effort to try to prevent Nigeria from getting this foreign interference; all this kind of international actors coming in the name of human rights to cause havoc…

“Most of them, they profit from our own instability and disunity. So, what I did was to quickly hang a court case on his neck. Most of these publicly listed companies, especially the CEOs of those companies, the only thing they are afraid of is legal cases. Once you hang a legal case on their head, they know that the chances of getting in trouble with their position is threatened.

“That is why if you notice, as soon as that happened, he stopped tweeting about soliciting for the nation to continue to sustain the protests. To the best of my knowledge, that is a very big win to stopping him from playing the script they played in Egypt, Syria, Libya. So, to the best of my knowledge, I think we have won in this case; we stopped him from interfering in our local politics therefore it is time for us to call off the case from the court, so I have written to my lawyers to actually look at the possibility of withdrawing the notice of the case so that we can now continue to monitor him.

Advertisement

“If any of them again tries to do that, we will continue with that case but for now, I think it is time to say it is over,” he said in a video clip accompanying the tweet.

He also apologized to Southern Nigerian youths who might have been offended by his earlier statement that their Northern counterparts will not be joining the protests.

He said his comments, which according to him, had no ethnic, religious or sectional colourations was misunderstood as he was trying to ensure the peaceful protests, which alleged state sponsored hoodlums later hijacked, did not escalate to the region.

Advertisement

“I want to personally apologise sincerely for the pain I have caused you and I look forward to continuing to unite so that we can build a better country,” he added.

Advertisement

Also Read:

Back to top button
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!