CAC reveals cause of fire at Abuja headquarters

The fire outbreak at the Abuja headquarters of the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) today was caused by a power surge from one of the split units of air conditioners in the building.

The Registrar-General of the CAC, Garba Abubakar, gave the explanation while addressing newsmen after the inferno was quenched by the men of the Federal Fire Service.

This is coming a week after an air conditioner triggered a similar situation at the office of the Account General of the Federation.

“One of the outer units of the split air conditioners on the 6th floor in the main building exploded due to power surge,” Mr Abubakar explained.

“The sound attracted few personnel within the premises and they immediately mobilised to quench the fire, using fire extinguishers and fire hose reels within the building.

“The fire had descended through the outer AC ducts to the 5th and 4th floors which necessitated a call to the Federal Capital Territory Fire Service and they promptly responded.

“The fire has since been contained. Only one unit of 2hp split air conditioner and electric cabling leading to it were affected.

“There was no casualty arising from the incident.

“Furthermore, the Commission’s main building and all records and other vital information have not been affected by the incident,” he added.