Buhari orders probe of Ogbomosho killing, says scrap of SARS first step on police extensive reform

Protests continue nationwide

President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered investigation into the killing of a protester last week in Ogbomosho, Oyo State.

Advertisement

The deceased was among demonstrators demanding the disbandment of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), often accused of extortion, brutality and violations of human rights.

The police which reportedly shot the young man, Jimoh Ishaq, dead denied doing so, claiming only teargas was fired at the protesters.

Yesterday, the Inspector General of Police Mohammed Adamu scrapped the brutal squad.

Advertisement

In his address Monday morning, the president who spoke in a one-minute thirty seven seconds video shared on his verified Twitter account said the disbandment is his administration’s first step in its resolve to reform the Nigeria Police Force (NPF).

Mr Buhari also ordered investigation into what led to the dead of Mr Ishaq.

“The disbanding of SARS is only the first step in our commitment to extensive police reforms in order to ensure that the primary duty of the police and other law enforcement agencies remains the protection of lives and livelihood of our people,” the president said.

Advertisement

“We also deeply regret the loss of life of the young man in Oyo State during the recent demonstrations. I have directed that the circumstances of his death should be throughly investigated,” he added.

Meanwhile, Nigerians are still demonstrating nationwide despite the scrapping of the police brutal unit. They are reportedly demanding compensations on all assaulted while they were protesting last week.

Advertisement
Read More

Related Articles

Back to top button
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!